Answered By: Elaine M. Patton Last Updated: Aug 16, 2018 Views: 18
There are two slightly different ways of accomplishing this depending on whether you're using Word on PC or Mac.
MS Word on PC Instructions:
- Open the header space (Insert > Header, or right-click in the margin > Open Header, or double-click the margin space).
- Look for a checkbox labeled "Different First Page" and select that option.
- On the title (first) page, on the left side of the margin, write: Running head: SHORT VERSION OF YOUR PAPER TITLE.
- Tab over to the right corner of the margin and insert the page number using the Page Number button in the Header & Footer Design Tools.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 on the second (abstract) page, but omit the words "Running head:" on the left side.
MS Word on Mac Instructions:
- Open up the header on your document.
- Check the "Different First Page" checkbox and start writing your header.
- Click the Page # button to add page numbers to your header.
- Go to Format > Document.
- In the window that opens, switch to Layout view. Select the "Different first page" checkbox, then click OK.